Thursday, March 5, 2009

American Idol Results Show, The Wild Cards

Tonight’s American Idol was an unusual event. Unusual because the judges, and not America, decided who went through to the top 12 out of this Wild Card group. I’m glad that they decided who would go through to the finals tonight instead of dragging this stage of the competition into another week. My only hope for tonight was that Megan and Matt made it through to the top 12, and that Tatiana didn’t.

“Tell Me Something Good,” by Chaka Khan, seemed like an awkward song for Jesse Langseth. It has a very funky beat and I don’t think she sang it enough in sync with the beat to make it sound good. She has a lot of potential but just didn’t show it these two performances.

This time I think Matt Giraud picked a good song, in singing “Who’s Lovin You?” by the Jackson 5, because in showed his bluesy side that I’ve grown to like. My only complaint is that it’s an older song that I don’t think would be on the radio nowadays, so it didn’t really give me an idea of what he’d actually perform today—but I liked it.

I think that “Black Horse and the Cherry Tree,” by KT Tunstall, was a good choice for Megan Joy Corkrey. I keep trying to think of a singer from the 40s that she reminds me of, but no one comes to mind, so I suppose she just reminds me of her and I should just look forward to what I hear from Megan in the future.

I didn’t remember Von Smith much from the audition weeks, but I liked his song that he sang when he was on last Tuesday. Tonight I wish he hadn’t sung “Sorry Seems To Be The Hardest Word” by Elton John. It’s such a slow emotional song that I don’t think it showed him in a very interesting vocal light, and actually revealed some pitch flaws—in my unmusically-trained opinion.

Christina Aguilera’s “Reflection” was definitely an appropriate song for someone Jasmine Murray’s age and I think she did a very good job, I just think that she needs more experience to refine her singing a little more.

Ricky Braddy did a really good job singing Stevie Wonder’s “Superstitious.” Although he’s good, I just worry that he might just not stand out from the others as much as he should. They’re all very good tonight.

Why did Tatiana Del Toro suddenly have an accent in her little bio movie? And why would she sing “Saving All My Love for You” when she already sang it a couple of weeks ago? It’s interesting that everyone seems to see how unstable Tatiana is because they all babied her so much, no doubt fearing she would crack. It was odd to watch.


Anoop Desai sang Bobby Brown’s “My Perogotive” in a very good and energetic performance. My wife loves him because he’s like a lovable computer nerd who can sing really well, so who am I to argue?

So the next three into the top twelve are: Jasmine Murray, which was a surprise to me. I thought there were more who were ready for the big show. Megan Joy Corkrey, yay! Matt Giraud, whom I’m really looking forward to see how well he does with his piano. And, surprise, surprise! Anoop Desai also made it through at the last minute to become the 13th contestant! Yes that’s right, there are a final 13 this year, not a final 12. My wife is very happy.
source:http://www.groundlings-review.com

No comments:

Post a Comment